As mobile devices running the iOS and Android operating systems become much more common, the Center sometimes gets questions about what works (and what doesn't) with these devices. This post provides answers.
While online course and CoursePlus websites are accessible on iOS (iPhone, iPad) and Android devices, there are some features that will not work properly depending on the device you use. These are:
- Synchronized lecture presentations will not play back on iOS devices. (iOS devices don't support Flash, and never will. You can, however, listen to lecture MP3s and view PDFs on iOS devices.)
- The rich text editor does not work on iOS or Android devices. This affects the following:
- Posting messages in the BBS.
- Making edits to any wiki page.
- Responding to essay questions in online quizzes/exams.
- Sending emails via the email tool.
- Providing text feedback in the Gradebook.
- Submitting files to a Drop Box does not work on iOS or Android devices. (This really has to do with a lack of a formal "file system" on both platforms.)
- TextChat and AudioChat will not work on iOS devices. (Again, because of Flash.)
- LiveTalks and playback of LiveTalk archives will not work on iOS or Android devices.
- Taking quizzes/exams online
- Submitting files to a Drop Box
- Contributing to a wiki
- Posting a message in a BBS
- Participating in a LiveTalk