Answer: In order to participate in LiveTalks, you must have port 1935 open on your computer AND on your network. Please note that port 1935 is usually open on your computer unless you installed a separate firewall software that may be blocking that port. If that's the case, then the instructions below may not help. You will need to contact the firewall software manufacturer for assistance.
To open port 1935 on a Windows 7 computer, do the following:
- Click the Start button then click on Control Panel.
- Change the View by: option to Large icons.
- Click on Windows Firewall.
- Click the Advanced Settings link in the left hand pane.
- Select Inbound Rules under Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on the left side.
- Click the Action menu then select New Rule....
- Select Port then click Next >.
- Select TCP, type 1935 in the Specific local ports: field then click Next >.
- Make sure Allow the connection is selected then click Next >.
- Leave the default settings for when this rule applies then click Next >.
- Type a name for the port then click Finish.
To open port 1935 in the Mac OS 10.7.x (Lion)/10.8.x (Mountain Lion) firewall, do the following:
- Open System Preferences.
- Click Security & Privacy.
- Select the Firewall button.
- Click the Firewall Options button.
- Check to see if your Firefox and/or Safari browsers are in the list of allowed applications. If they are not listed, click the + button.
- Under Places in the first column select Applications, then Firefox and/or Safari and then click the Add button.
- Click OK and close the remaining window when you have added all of the applications that you need.
Note: Although you may open port 1935 on your personal computer, Here are some other factors that may prevent you from participating in a LiveTalk:
- The network through which you connect to the Internet may still be blocking port 1935. This is commonly the case with work networks.
- A firewall software may be installed on your computer. This will need to be configured separately according to the Manufacturer's instructions.
- Wireless router has firewall settings that may block the port if enabled. You will need to follow manufacturer's instructions on how to configure the firewall settings on the router.
Return to Browsing/Searching FAQs
Return to Home Page